Skelsmergh Community Hall

Registered charity No: 1098387

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Hall History

The hall was built by public subscription and was completed in 1897. It was the final step of the local late Victorian religious revival that had built the church in 1871, Garth Row School in 1874 and the vicarage in 1876. Dances and socials, improvement classes, Sunday school, indoor sports and games such as badminton, births, weddings, funeral teas, public meetings and elections: all have served to bring people together and give the hall a special place in the hearts of our scattered community.

It continues to be the only public meeting place in the parishes of Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg. Skelsmergh Community Hall management trust was founded in 2002 and took a 28 year lease on the hall. Over the five years following its formation, the management trust stabilised and developed both the fabric and the use of the hall. Activities such as carpet bowls, table-tennis and reading groups have brought in new people, who in turn have greatly invigorated the fund raising social events such as dinners, BBQs and dances, coffee mornings, fitness and well being sessions, ceilidhs and concerts.

A major refurbishment of the hall started in 2008. It created a modern and warm facility with parking and adjacent community field that will serve the people of our parish for a second 100 years.



 

Random Image

Upcoming Events

No current events.

Who's Online

We have 2 guest(s) online